This is the traditional, most frequently used MCQs format. It consists of a vignette & question followed by three to 26 options that are in alphabetical or logical order. The response options in this format are lettered (e.g., A, B, C, D, E). You are required to select the one best answer to the question. Other options may be partially correct, but there is only ONE BEST answer.
Strategies for Answering Single One-Best-Answer Questions:
- Read each question carefully. It is important to understand what is being asked.
- Try to generate an answer & then look for it in the response option list.
- Alternatively, read each response option carefully, eliminating those that are clearly incorrect.
- Of the remaining response options, select the one that is most correct.
- If unsure about an answer, it is better to guess since unanswered questions are automatically counted as wrong answers.